Science is a very important part of a child's education. Whether a child gains an interest in becoming a doctor, lawyer, teacher, investor, or entrepreneur, developing a scientific mindset with questioning and problem solving is critical to enhancing a child's cognitive growth, logic, and reasoning.
Marking Period 1
Studying the Earth & Composition of the Earth
Marking Period 2
History of Earth & The Dynamic Earth
Marking Period 3
Reshaping the Crust & Oceans
Marking Period 4
Atmospheric Forces & Space
- Each unit has 2-3 quizzes and one final exam towards the end of the marking period.
- Questions are taken mostly from previous science state exams
- Projects will be assigned each marking period. They can be lab reports, creating models, or completing a performance task. Students will be given ample time to complete their projects.
- To ensure that students are taking notes, pop notebook check quizzes will be given. The notebook check quiz will consist of four questions. Students will answer the four questions using their notes. There will be no makeups for the notebook check quizzes, but the lowest notebook check quiz will be dropped.
- Portfolios are a collection of student work that is organized and stored in color coordinated folders and bins. The portfolios show progress and completion in each topic.
- Every student will begin the marking period with 100 class participation points.
- Beginning of each class: 5 points are deducted for not getting the objective copied down and do-now completed within the first five minutes of class. A timer begins the countdown from five minutes as soon as the late bell rings.
- Homework should be neat and orderly. If a student is absent it will be their responsibility to find out if they’ve missed any homework assignments. All homework assignments will be posted on PupilPath in advance and will be written on the blackboard.
- What do I need to be prepared for class?A spiral or marble notebook.
- How am I penalized if I bring in a project or homework assignment late?Homework assignments are graded out of 4 points, every day late is 1 point deducted.Projects and reports are graded out of 100 points, every school day late will result in 20 points being deducted.Once the assignment reaches 0 points, it will not be accepted.
- What if I am absent and I miss an assignment? Exceptions are made for emergencies or extenuating circumstances, accompanied with a parent/doctors note.
- How can I contact Mrs. Gascòn if I have questions?I am available by email (email@example.com). My response time is usually 30 minutes if the email is sent before 8 PM.
- How can I monitor my progress in class?Progress can be monitored by logging into PupilPath. PupilPath will be updated weekly.